Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Today, I had a meeting at the school with the elders and the council. John (the other volunteer) and I were introduced and said a couple words of why we were there. I got to see the school for the first time, I saw pictures but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. When I imagined a school in my mind it was like a school from the U.S. At Airfield they have some outdoor classrooms and the classrooms are very basic. I attached a picture of the meeting, sorry but still figuring out the camera lol! So you get a collage!
Tomorrow, I will head there again to sit in on a class to see what the teaching style is and how the teachers interact with the students. Since I've been here, I've noticed my Congolese side and my American side have been pulling me in different directions. I think that my situation is kind of unique because of my mix. There are some things that I understand about the Ghanaian culture that I think the Americans don't understand. I think they assume that I have the same way of thinking or point of view simply because I am American. But I think they don't take into consideration that I have a slightly different outlook because I am Congolese/Black.  I also went to market today, Stella and Stephen helped me buy the things I needed to cook and made sure they didn't over charge me. Interesting fact, there are no mirrors. No mirrors in anyone's house, bathrooms, no stores sell them. They are no where to be found.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog Nina, I bet every day will hold something new in store for you; so glad you're sharing it with us. Take care! P.S. I love the "no mirrors" decorating!

    ReplyDelete