Sunday, November 10, 2013

"It's been so long since I've been on"



All you 90's babies will know my title reference! I know it’s been a long time! Internet access isn’t easy in Torkor that’s why I’ve been kinda quiet lately. I’m really enjoying Torkor. My stage 2 class is tough, they don’t like to sit still but I’m really liking them. We started reading groups in the evenings for students who need extra help/a place for them to study. So far there is 5 boys who come to the house every week day evening. Two,( Richmond and Kelvin) are in JHS 1, and the other 3 (David, Hope, and Godsway) are in JHS2. I’m really happy that they want to learn outside of school and are willing to let us help them. We started reading groups for stages 1-4. It started off a little bit of chaos but we got the groups under control. Assigned a teacher to each group and then Colleen and I each have a group as well. The children absolutely love the reading groups. They didn’t want it to end! We had a quiz bowl Friday, which was so much fun! There was three groups of three. The subjects were French, English, General Knowledge, Science, and Math. Most of the competitors were in JHS but one of them her name is Prisckilla in stage 3 she absolutely killed the French section! She knew all the answers! I was so proud! We had midterm break last week and I got to catch up on my sleep, tv shows, and did a little bit of sightseeing as well. My roomie went to Accra for the 3 days, so I was home alone. One of the teachers asked if I was lonely, I said no! I’m never alone, lol! It was nice for a day or two. And I had 5 visitors over the duration of break so how was I lonely? Lol! I went to the grotto which is a special place for Catholics to worship. There are huge beautiful statues. And when I say huge I mean huge! The place was so beautiful and peaceful. The only thing was that I got eaten alive by mosquitos! I’m really enjoying myself and I can’t believe I only have a month left! Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself Nina and sounds like the kids love you so much! You may want to stay longer than originally planned. It sure looks alot warmer there than it is here; we had snow yesterday (Nov. 11) - way tooo early for me! Sending you a huge hug; keep up the great work - you're making a difference in so many lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds fun. You are getting some teaching experiences. And you are having fun at the same time. Thanks and until next time.

    ReplyDelete