Sunday, September 8, 2013

Basic Living

This week was an eventful week. I worked hard on the inventory, 18 boxes and I am proud to say that I finished them today! Yay Me! On Wednesday, I went to Kpando to work with the other volunteer John. The trip was about an hour and a half. It was my first experience on a trotro. A trotro is basically a large size fan that is supposed to fit 11 people but really crams about 15 in there. An interesting experience, especially since I made the mistake of traveling in midday. It was literally like a sauna! But, the scenery was absolutely beautiful. I arrived in Kpando and as soon as I stepped out of the trotro I was swarmed by people they already knew I was not from there because Kpando is so small and again I stick out like a sore thumb. I think they are less used to Americans because everyone stared more than usual. John and his two girls arrived and we took a taxi to the house. I thought I was living in basic living already, but nope I quickly learned. There was no running water installed yet so you guessed it I had to take my first bucket bath! It's not as bad as it sounds actually. Secondly, I was told there were bats in the ceiling and I could hear them at night so the first night I didn't catch too much sleep. The next day we visited the other school Bishop Forson and it was a lot bigger than Airfield. They have dormitories for the kids there unlike Airfield. Before I left, we went to Lake Volta during the day which was breathtaking.  The biggest man made lake. The trip back on the trotro went a lot smoother after you get the hang of it. Today, I picked up one of my outfits that was done in time for me to go to church. I really enjoyed the service today. School starts next week!

3 comments:

  1. i need a shirt made! your outfit is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful wearing that African clothes. You had some exciting days. I miss Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, you look like you're enjoying every moment! So fun to read about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete